Mexican Green Card – The 2022 Guide Presented by Our Team
Obtain Permanent Residence in MexicoUpdated on Tuesday 02nd August 2022
based on 4 reviews
If you are interested in immigration to Mexico for longer than six months or permanently in 2022, you must get a resident visa. You do not need to be a temporary resident in Mexico before applying for permanent residency. The permanent residence permit in Mexico offers the same benefits to the residency cardholder as to the actual citizen, excluding the right to vote. In addition, you do not need to renew your Mexican permanent residence card because it is granted permanently. If you have this card, you can enter and depart Mexico as many times as you like.
|Permanent residence permit types||
Time needed to obtain Permanent residence permit (approx.)
|10 – 15 working days|
Permanent residence permit validity
|Documents for obtaining Permanent residence||
Completed and signed Mexico Visa Application Form
|Mandatory registrations with state authorities (i.e. with the population/municipality register)||National Registry of Population and Personal Identification's General Office|
|Dependents can join the Permanent permit holder (Yes/No)||
|Temporary or permanent residency for investment purposes||
Once you have an investor visa in Mexico, you can apply for permanent residency.
|Minimum temporary residence before applying for permanent residence||180 days|
|Naturalization requirements||Legal residency in Mexico for at least five years|
|Citizenship after permanent residence||After five years of residency in Mexico|
Who can apply for a Mexico resident visa?
- Investors: if you want to invest your money, you may get a residency permit. You can invest in various areas, such as services or industries. Our attorneys can assist you with the investment procedure necessary to gain permanent residency in Mexico;
- Well-known individual: if you are a scientist, humanist, researcher, artist, journalist, sportsman, or any other prominent person with international prestige, you can get residency in Mexico;
- Professionals: you can get your certifications verified by the Mexican consulate in your country if you are a certified professional. You can apply for a Mexico resident visa if the Embassy agrees;
- Retirees: if you do not intend to work and receive income overseas, you can apply for permanent residency. However, your income and assets must fulfill the Mexican government's financial requirements.
Application for a permanent resident visa in Mexico
Potential applicants for Mexico residency visas
Retirees / independent income
Professionals in science or technology
How do you become a Mexican resident?
- Your family is close in Mexico;
- You have found a job in Mexico;
- You plan to take your retirement in Mexico;
- You begin studying at a Mexican educational institution;
- At minimum 4 years in temporary residency. You are now eligible for permanent residence.
Fast ways to get a Mexican green card
- You are retired and want to stay in Mexico forever, without income or employment Mexico (Mexico retirement visa);
- You have family members close to you in Mexico;
- If you have a child who belongs to or was a Mexican citizen or permanent resident;
- You are a young person or adolescent, and you have parents who are Mexican citizen or permanent residents;
- You are a young person or adolescent with an adult step-parent who is a Mexican citizen or permanent resident;
- Siblings of one Mexican national or permanent resident;
- You have lived in Mexico for a minimum of four years and have a temporary residence card;
- You have lived within Mexico for a minimum of two years and have a temporary residence card granted based on union with Mexican citizens or permanent residents.
Application for a Mexican green card
- Contact the Mexico Embassy to make an appointment;
- Fill out your Mexico visa application form. The form is available online which you can find on-site at the Mexico Embassy, where you will submit your application;
- Take the necessary documents;
- Fill out your application online and make payment for the fee. On the date you have scheduled, you will be required to provide your biometrics. In addition, you might be required to attend an interview;
- The visa needs to be approved;
- Take the passport. If your application is accepted, your visa is added to your ticket;
- When you have a permanent resident visa approved, you can apply for entry into the country.
Duration of a Mexico permanent resident card
Time frame to get a Mexican green card
Fees for Mexican green card and visa
- The visa fee is about US$36;
- Once you enter the country, you have to apply for a Mexican green card. You need to use it at the National Immigration Institute and pay a fee of about US$250.